Vegetated Roofing Solutions
A vegetated roof from Tremco is one of the most environmentally responsible, attractive and cost-effective solutions available to meet today’s demand for sustainable facility construction and management. Building owners, facility managers, corporate sustainability officers and architects alike are recognizing the vital role a vegetated roof can play in:
Compare the cost of green (vegetative) roofing with conventional roofing systems right now, with our GreenSave calculator!
- helping manage storm-water runoff
- reducing facility operational costs
- increasing energy efficiency
- improving air quality
- increasing the roof’s life cycle
- increasing the overall appearance and value of their buildings
- reducing occupant stress
- helping a facility attain LEED™ certification
Tremco’s vegetated roofing systems – composed of a protective waterproofing assembly, integrated leak
detection and a selection of plants embedded in a growing medium – address several sustainability and
facility operations issues.
Types of Vegetated Roofs
- By absorbing large amounts of rainwater, they filter and reduce the amount of water flowing into our sewer
systems. This can lower storm water fees and even eliminate the need to build storm water retention facilities.
- Since vegetated roofs retain little heat, they do not raise building temperatures, thereby lowering energy bills, making buildings more comfortable and reducing strain on HVAC systems. Vegetated roofs also help cool the surrounding air, reducing urban heat islands.
- Roof life is extended because of superior protection from the effects of weather.
- The visual appeal of a vegetated roof increases property values through social, recreational and therapeutic uses.
- Studies have shown that vegetated roofs can reduce people’s stress. They make facilities more comfortable by helping lower both temperature and noise. Some designs may even attract such desirable wildlife as butterflies and songbirds.
The basic types of garden roof assemblies – extensive, intensive and extensive turf – are distinguished by the depth of their growing media and the plants they support.
Extensive vegetated roofing systems use shallow beds that support only hardy, low-growing vegetation.
Requiring minimal maintenance and irrigation, these roofs can be built on concrete or metal decks.
For an example of an extensive system on a concrete deck, click here.
For an example of an extensive system on a metal deck, click here.
Deeper-bed intensive systems can grow a wider variety of plants and even small trees, making them more aesthetic and garden-like. This system requires regular maintenance and, to support its increased weight, may need additional structural support. These roofs should be built on concrete decks.
For an example of an intensive system on a concrete deck, click here.
Extensive Turf systems use relatively shallow growing media to create a healthy growing environment for almost any type of rooftop turf application. Customized for specific end-user applications, these systems also include an aggregate layer, the latest in sub-surface irrigation and fertigation technology and drainage components.
For an example of an extensive turf system on a concrete deck, click here.
What Tremco Can Do For You
Whether you are an architect whose client is interested in vegetated roofing or a building owner or facility professional who wants to lower long-term costs while improving aesthetics and making the facility more comfortable for occupants, Tremco is the company for you. Our multi-disciplinary team of internal and external experts can develop a flexible, customized solution for any vegetated roofing need; after it’s completed, we will support that solution with the industry’s most extensive warranty, including plant establishment for the first three years.
To learn more about our support for building owners and facility managers, click here.
To learn more about our support for architects, click here.
You can locate a Tremco representative to talk about our vegetated roofs, or any of our sustainable
roofing solutions, by using our Find A Rep page.